Sunday, April 3, 2011

Follow the electrons!

When I was in college I totally bombed Organic Chemistry. I thought it was a disaster - but instead it opened up a world of understanding of humans and life and why people do the things they do - from Mother Teresa to Mohammar Gadaffi.

Being a left-brained creature, O-Chem and its slap-dash recipes for this-and-that molecules seemed arbitrary and quixotic to me. My brain cried "Anarchy!"  I failed the first test of my life.

But as it happened, some years later I had to take a test that contained a substantial amount of O-Chem, and understanding it was no longer optional.  So I got a book and dug in and tried to UNDERSTAND my nemesis.  It was my first exercise in taking data and turning it around to see if I could uncover the method behind the madness.  And I did it!  I found the key to O-Chem...

Follow the electrons!

It turns out, all the stuff I was so baffled by before were distractions.  I focused on the flashy details and "personalities" of the chemistry, not the "principles" underlying it.  I discovered all the razzle-dazzle was ruled by those electrons and what they wanted.

It was an epiphany.

A multi-purpose epiphany... because "follow the electrons" applies to a lot of things.

  • If you want to know what your government is going to do... follow the electrons.   
  • If you want to know if the news is more fact or more fiction... follow the electrons.  
  • If you want to know why people act the way they do... follow the electrons.  

The electrons can be Power, Money, Greed, Control and more - but they all have something in common.

Just as electrons in the real world carry a negative charge, so do "electrons" in human interactions.  And the negative charge is Fear.  Fear of Not Getting or Fear of Losing what you need/want.

So if you wish to understand the human world around you - keep that question in the front of your mind: "What is the fear?"  If you get a grasp on that, you're halfway there.

And just as a footnote: I got the high score on the O-Chem test.  I thought that was my reward, but it was really just a carrot so I would keep on the path.  And it turned out, I never used O-Chem again.

No comments:

Post a Comment